The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland

The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland
Home is where the heart is...

Thursday, November 27, 2014

12 Minute Mile

This time last year I was ordering my Thanksgiving meal at the restaurant within walking distance from my downtown apartment. But when the tiny sip of gingerale hit my already cranky stomach like a lead brick, I wasn't sure if I should add food to the pain...so I apologized, then quickly walked home. And within the hour I was admitted to the local VA for a week long stay that very nearly ended in surgery.

I've waited a whole year to finally get my Thanksgiving dinner. So, today I went back to the same restaurant, ordered the same drink, the same meal, and this time I got to eat and enjoy it.

It doesn't matter how long it takes to do the things we want...it only matters that we get them done.

Gratitude is a funny thing. It's easy to be grateful for fancy cars, adoring spouses, and lots of money in the bank. But finding gratitude amidst the struggle in life requires a whole different set of gratitude skills.

My cousin's son died quite unexpectedly yesterday. He woke up Monday morning with what he thought was just a bad cold, then three days later he's on life support for a flu virus that took his young twenty-something life.

What am I waiting for?

I have intentionally put my life on-hold since June...to repair an aging vehicle ..to make safety upgrades to car and trailer...to save money for this trip to Nova Scotia. But at this point, what, honestly, am I waiting for?

Aaron's tragic death has lit a fire underneath my ass to wrap up my preparations and just get on the road!

It may have taken a year to finally get my Thanksgiving meal, but I did. So, it doesn't matter how long it takes me to get to Nova Scotia, I will get there one mile at time...