The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland

The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland
Home is where the heart is...

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Legacy

It's either very late, or very early (depending on which day I want to consider as "today," on this yet another sleepless night). Either way, I have been up thinking about my legacy.

What do I want my legacy to be?

I did not have children of my own. But, my bother's oldest boy has a son (the first great grandchild of my mom) born just a few short months ago, and my very pregnant niece has only 10 weeks left in her own pregnancy before her miracle little girl is born. I also have a niece with three delightful children on the east coast that I hope to one day meet. And I have other nieces and nephews who do not yet have children...or, perhaps never will. And, I want very much to be a part of ALL of their their lives (because I love them very much!), but I may have passed from this earth before these little ones are old enough to get to know me for themselves.

What are the stories that my nieces and nephews are going to tell about me when they share the part of our family history that I am writing with my life?

There are moments of clarity...glimpses of deeper truths or some divine inspiration that sparks awareness...and in this moment, I am just so very clear that I absolutely want them to talk about their crazy aunt who played the bagpipes as she traveled around with her crazy cat like a real life gypsy with her Tumbleweed trailer that she built herself ...lol!

What a glorious piece of family history I am going to leave behind!

I want them to know that it's OK to create their life anyway they want to! That it's OK to live outside the box. Or to live inside the traveling box they build for themselves...lol. I want to make it clear that adversity doesn't have to destroy who they are, even if it feels that way every day until it doesn't...and even panic attacks (or a reactive brains) aren't enough to stop them from living the life of their dreams.

I think my life is about to get even more outrageous than it is, already!