The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland

The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland
Home is where the heart is...

Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Free Lunch

When I am wrong, I admit it, And, oh, how I am wrong! I am absolutely shocked by how complacent I have become about what I am agreeing to!!! Specifically, I am referring to all of these Terms of Service (TOS) Agreements that I have authorized (both on my cell phone, as well as online social media, in general) without even once reading them!

WTF is wrong with me?!

Well, I am reading them now, and not just reading them, but understanding the deeper significance of what they mean. Nearly all of these apps I've authorized have been uninstalled, and now I am trying to figure out how to deactivate the ones that come as a packaged deal with my smartphone.

How do I stay connected to people without selling off my privacy?

That is the problem, of course...the free lunch. Everyone wants free apps, but development of apps isn't free, so that money's gotta come from somewhere...and that "somewhere" is the bank of my personal information. I, myself, would rather pay for these apps with my money, than with the pieces of my personal information...but this is not even an option, as they make a whole lot more from third parties than they cpuld ever make from any user fee.

I'm ready to toss my friggen smartphone into the trash!

I honestly don't know what to do...the invasiveness is just so pervasive! But, am I really prepared to live like a hermit in defense of my principles?