The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland

The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland
Home is where the heart is...

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

Yep, it's that time of the year, again. The season of making inventories of our year to see what worked, what didn't, and what changes we want to make. But even more important than this, it's also the season for every single doomsdayer to crawl out from beneath whatever methodology of crystal ball they use to make predictions about the days (and year) to come.

Why are we so obsessed with knowing what the future holds?

I think it boils down to three inter-related words: Trust, Hope, and Faith. We want to be able to Trust that our future is secure...but we will Hope for the best (perhaps, even preparing for the worst). Yet, in the absence of Trust or even Hope, we continue to move forward based on whatever or wherever we place our Faith...and, yes, every single person has Faith.

Are we hardwired for Faith?

Faith is a word that seems inextricably linked with religion or spiritualism. But I think Faith is much deeper and more prevalent than this. Faith is the unconditional Trust (and Hope) in something. The athiest may have no Faith in any diety, but they are still motivated by Faith. For some, it is Faith in themselves...for others, it is Faith in humanity. But, no matter what the source, every single person's life choices are motivated by their Faith.

And, New Year's Resolutions are absolutely about the renewal of one's Faith.

I think my Faith is changing. I have been living my life having Faith in my "cat-like" qualities of nine lives and always landing on my feet. But I also think that I have (long ago) reached the edge of this Faith's very limited ability to comfort and guide me through a dangerous and rocky terrain.

Let go, and let God...

I don't let go very easily...I never have. But, this inability to let go leaves my spirit cold and damp, ever heavy and exhausted. And I absolutely want to trust in something greater than myself, because I, alone, am incompetent when it comes to reconciling the painful thorns that remain deeply embedded within my spirit.

Transitions in Faith aren't easy...or quick to achieve...or, are they?

Maybe I'm making this harder than it need be...perhaps. Hope is much easier for me, thouh, than Trust.

Faith versus faith.

I have been living life with lower cased faith...that trust and hope in myself and my skills & abilities. But, what I'm looking for now is that Faith with a capital F...that larger than life Trust and Hope that keeps me warm, even when I am unable to light the spirit fires from within.

Yes, that's it...my personal new year's resolution is the search for Faith with a capital F...a Faith that transforms the rest of my life to its perfect plan and purpose for my life.

Dare I Hope to find or achieve this elusive goal? I shall try...I most certainly shall try...